Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Buttermilk Honey Bread




I have been baking bread since I was a teenager.  First, it was my Mom’s Cuisinart that aided in the bread making, and then a bread machine.   There really is nothing quite like the aroma of home-made bread baking in the oven!  This DAK bread machine has been working for more than twenty years!  (It is too bad they are no longer manufactured!)


I have adapted the original recipe for the bread machine.  First add all of the ingredients according to the manufacturer’s specifications.  For the DAK, it means adding the yeast first, followed by the dry ingredients, and then the liquids are added last.   

This particular recipe really pushes the capacity limit for my machine, so I add everything (except the buttermilk), start the mixing, and after the ingredients are some-what incorporated, I then add the buttermilk so that there is no “overflow”!

I set the machine to the “manual” mode, which means it takes about 40 minutes to mix the dough.  


After the 40 minutes I remove the dough, divide it in half, place in 2 greased bread pans, and set in a warm, draft free spot.  


The place that works the best for me is in the microwave.


Let the loaves rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.  Just before baking make 3 slashes with a sharp knife on the top of each loaf.

Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.

Allow loaves to cool completely before slicing.



Buttermilk Honey Bread
Recipe Author: Carolina Food and Fitness

4 ½ teaspoons of bread machine yeast
7 to 7 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
¼ cup honey
¼ cup olive or grape seed oil
1 cup warm water
2 cups warm buttermilk
Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment