Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Mild Chili



Please don't tell anyone, but I absolutely detest kidney beans, as a result I never liked chili!  It is something I had never even considered making until about 2 1/2 years ago when my Mom requested that I cook it for her.  She was battling cancer and certain dishes that she had always loved (such as lasagna) no longer appealed to her. So, I went looking for a recipe and discovered that competition chili never has beans!  (What a revelation!)  I eventually came up with the following recipe, it needed to be mild enough that both she and my Dad would be able to eat it without setting their mouths and hair on fire!  Mom absolutely loved this chili, and it was one of the only meals that she actually ate and enjoyed.

I start by chopping onion and green bell pepper. Something I hate almost as much as kidney beans, is chopping onion.  (The Chop Wizard is great!) 


The onion and green pepper are lightly cooked in olive or grape seed oil.


Meat loaf mix is added next.  It is a blend of beef, veal, and pork.  Not all grocery stores have it, I found this at BJ's.  I also added 3 cloves of minced garlic.  


After the meat is no longer pink, drain off the excess fat, and return it to the dutch oven.  The rest of the ingredients are added, and it can simmer as long as you want.  I made this today, and let it cook on low all afternoon.







MILD CHILI
Recipe Author:  Carolina Food and Fitness

2 tablespoons olive or grape seed oil
1 onion
1 green bell pepper
3 – 4 cloves of garlic minced
2.5 lbs. meatloaf mix
1 ½ cups beef broth
1 ½ quarts tomato sauce
12 oz. tomato paste
¼ cup brewed coffee
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1½ teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons hot sauce

Lightly saute the diced onion and green pepper in olive or grape seed oil.  Add the meatloaf mix, and minced garlic, and cook until no longer pink.  Drain off the excess fat, and return to the dutch oven.  Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cook for at least an hour.  


No comments:

Post a Comment